White peaches are piled high in all of the markets right now and I plan to use them every way possible in the coming weeks (say tuned). There are an endless variety of summer salad recipes which feature peaches; some add cheese or pancetta, others grill the peaches, and a few use a rich balsamic vinaigrette. White Peach & Arugula Salad harmoniously brings together peppery wild arugula and the floral sweetness of white peaches – a match made in heaven.
Arugula Salad with White Peaches is a straightforward recipe with featuring only a few key elements. The flavor of the arugula and white peach is enhanced by a simple champagne vinaigrette, chopped shallots, good quality olive oil and a scattering of toasted hazelnuts.
White-fleshed peaches have a sweet taste, with much less of the acidity associated with the yellow variety. When selecting white peaches choose fruit that is uniformly firm with no visible bruising. White peaches are more delicate than the yellow variety and easily bruised, so keep an eye on that bagger when packing your groceries. Once home, place the peaches in a flat bottomed bowl or plate until ready to use.
The elegant addition of champagne vinegar accents White Peach & Arugula Salad nicely, but it can be a bit pricey; as a substitute if you desire use white wine vinegar. Assemble the salad ingredients beforehand – the arugula washed and dried, hazelnuts chopped, and shallots soaking in the vinegar; the peach should be cut at the last moment and the salad dressed immediately before serving.
Arugula Salad with White Peach is is summer food at it’s best. More on white peaches to come, so please subscribe below so you don’t miss the next post.
- 4 ounces of wild baby arugula, thoroughly washed and dried
- 1 large white peach, firm yet ripe and free of any bruising
- 1 Tbs. minced shallot
- 1½ Tbs. of champagne vinegar
- 3 Tbs. of high quality extra virgin olive oil
- Sicilian or Maldon Flake Sea Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ⅓ cup of coarsely chopped toasted hazelnuts
- Combine the minced shallots and champagne vinegar and allow to sit for at least 10 minutes.
- Assemble all of the ingredients, including the salad bowl and serving utensils.
- Place the prepared arugula into the salad bowl.
- When ready to serve the salad, slice the peach in half, slicing each half into 4 lengthwise slices and then slice the opposite way to create cube like segments of the peach. Arrange the peach cubes over the arugula.
- Season the mixture with the sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Drizzle the olive oil over the salad and toss gently to lightly coat the mixture. Repeat the process with the vinegar & shallots. Top the salad with the hazelnuts and serve immediately.