Some dinners require a little splurge – a special birthday, anniversary, wonderful friends. For these occasions, veal chops do the trick. Grilled Veal Chops with Rosemary Roasted Grapes is an elegant main course fit for royalty.
These rib veal chops really have the wow factor, wouldn’t you say? As with anything else, when buying veal select a respected butcher shop that specializes in veal; if you are fortunate enough to have an Italian butcher nearby all the better. And by the way, if you don’t like what ‘s in the case ask the butcher to cut you a few new chops; I’m sure you wouldn’t mind waiting a bit, especially at those prices.
Veal is a delicately flavored meat which only needs a simple preparation and seasoning to heighten the flavor. Sea salt and freshly ground pepper are essential elements. A hot grill on a thickly cut veal chop will nicely color the exterior while keeping the internal portion of the meat rosy and juicy.
Oven roasted red grapes scented with fresh rosemary are the ideal complement to veal chops. Seasoning the grapes with salt, freshly ground pepper, and olive oil before roasting intensifies the sweetness of the grapes, providing just the right balance. This step can be completed a few hours ahead of time and quickly reheated on the stove top when ready to serve.
The next time you have a special celebration, consider preparing Grilled Veal Chops with Rosemary Roasted Grapes. It’s a showstopper which never fails to impress.
Subscribing to La Bella Sorella will ensure that you received a wonderful recipe each week.
- 2 thickly cup rib veal chops, total weight just under 2 pounds
- 2 cups or red or black seedless
grapes,washed thoroughly and dried
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 sprigs of fresh
rosemary,plus additional rosemary sprigs to garnish the serving platter
- Extra virgin olive oil to finish the dish
- Preheat the oven to 425º and line a heavy duty baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Lay the grapes on the parchment lined baking sheet and drizzle with the 2 tablespoons of olive oil, Season liberally with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Pull the needles off of 2 of the rosemary sprigs and combine with the seasoned grapes. Lay the third sprig of rosemary in the baking pan as well.
- Place the seasoned grapes into the preheated oven and roast for 15 to 18 minutes; opening the oven quickly once to stir well. The grapes are properly roasted when sizzling and fragrant however generally still intact. Remove to a rack and allow to cool. This step can be done several hours beforehand.
- Up to 4 hours before serving season the veal chops with salt and freshly ground black pepper. One hour prior to grilling remove the chops from the refrigerator and allow to sit at room temperature.
- Preheat the grill to red hot, time this depending upon your grill as once the chops are prepared they should be served. Lay the chops on the hot grill for 1 and ½ minutes without touching, then adjust the position of the chops a quarter turn to achieve cross grill marks. Repeat the grilling for another 1 and ½ minutes. Flip the chops to the opposite side and repeat. Remove the chops to a platter and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
- While the chops are resting quickly warm the roasted grapes in the same pan over two burners on the stove top, the grapes only need to be warm not bubbling.
- Platter the grilled veal chops onto a serving tray, spoon the warm grapes and any juices that may have accumulated over the chops and garnish with fresh rosemary sprigs. Drizzle with a touch of
extra virginolive oil and serve at once.