Sgroppino…I had almost forgotten about that Venetian potion, a cross between a digestivo and dessert until last April when we spent an afternoon with the Cheschin family of Il Colle Prosecco.
After an impressive tour of the production facility at the winery and a drive through the spectacular vineyards of Conegliano & Valdobbiadene, we were warmly hosted to sumptuous lunch at Ristorante Ca del Poggio in San Pietro di Feletto, Treviso.
A stellar restaurant specializing in local seafood and fish of the Adriatic, perched on a hilltop overlooking the Prosecco Superiore DOCG vineyards. As lunch came to a close our Sgroppini were elegantly served.
A frothy combination of lemon sorbetto or sorbet and prosecco, the Sgroppino was introduced in the 16th century to noble Venetians as a way to cleanse the palate between the fish and meat course. Sgroppino in the Venetian dialect means “to untie”, in this case to relieve the stomach of the pitfalls of over indulgence.
The digestive has evolved over time and often a bit of vodka and a twist of lemon are sometimes incorporated into the Sgroppino. When dining in the Veneto, the camerieri or waiter may prepare this snowy white libation table side .
Simple, elegant, refreshing – an absolute must for summer entertaining.
To subscribe to La Bella Sorella and receive posts weekly use the space below.
- ¾ cup lemon sorbet or sorbetto
- ¾ cup prosecco, chilled
- 2 tsp. vodka, cold
- 2 lemon peel strips for garnish
- Chill two martini style glasses in either the freezer or refrigerator.
- Remove the sorbetto or sorbet from the freezer about 15 minutes before you intend to serve the Sgroppino.
- Place the ¾ cup of softened sorbettto in a mixing bowl and using a fork or small whisk, mix until the consistency becomes creamy. A rubber spatula is another useful tool in this process. Begin to add the prosecco a bit at a time, working quickly to incorporate it into the sorbetto. Add the vodka in the same manner.
- Divide the mixture into the two chilled glasses, garnish with lemon peel and serve immediately.